Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Pastor Garth Bent to be sentenced

Remember Canadian pastor Garth Bent? Back in 2008 he was arrested for for sexually assaulting a 14-year-old boy. Bent pleaded guilty and was sentenced to a short time in jail. I never did find out how much time Bent spent in jail though. Pity. Whatever the time was it was not enough for this serial child molester.

I posted about Bent three times on Deep Thoughts. His 2008 arrest. His 2009 conviction and a guest post in 2017 by Peter Judd. I should have been watching closer because there was more to the story. It was obvious that the police suspected Bent of more crimes and they looked hard for more victims. There was a story in 2010 about additions charges for an indecent assault on a 14-year-old boy and I have it on good authority that this at least one other case is pending. In fact, a source tells me that Garth Bent will be sentenced in another case on March 3rd. I’ll post the details once they are available.

The thing that has always bothers me about this case is that Bent has fans. People still support him. People still think he’s innocent, even after admitting his guilt. Even after facing justice. It’s the whole pastor as a holy man thing and it still pisses me off. Read the comment thread on my original post. It’s depressing.

Bent was the pastor at St. Bride’s Church in Mississauga and was the trip director at Ontario Pioneer Camp in Port Sydney. Bent allegedly take boys out on camping trips and would then molest them.

Wants: I really want a photo of Garth Bent. If you have one, please send it to me.