Friday, May 03, 2013

I'm just like a drug dealer

I had an odd thought yesterday as I spoke the words, "Come on out to my truck, I've got something special for you in the back." I'm just like a drug dealer. My drug of choice is Innova Blizzard Plastic

I meet people. We end up talking about disc golf because that's what I do. They always say something like, I play golf, or ride a bike, or jog. I always say that I play disc golf and that it is loads of fun and free. We eventually agreed to meet at my local course. I always give away a free disc or two on a first lesson. A taste mind you. A taste of the good stuff. The first taste is always free. 

These new disc golf addicts will eventually buy a few more discs, a disc golf bag, a towel, and even window stickers. Disc golf is fun. Disc golf is that kind of fun… the addictive kind of fun. If I had to guess, I'd say that I've introduced over 50 people to the sport in the last five years. Of these, at least 30 are hooked. I need to talk to Innova about a kickback. I bringing them lots of business. I should get a cut. I'm an addict too. I'll take payment in plastic. 

I introduced a guy named Tim Peterson to the sport yesterday. He had played before, but he had never had a lesson or used the right kind of discs. We played Eldo in Long Beach on a 97 degree afternoon. I gave him good plastic and a few lessons. He left after nine holes swearing that he would practice and attack the sport with gusto. I say nine holes because it was too damn hot to play. We did nine and hit a watering hole for some eats. It's all good though. I gave him his first taste. I know he'll be back. 

I set the hook with a good experience. How can he say no to a low pressure walk in the park. When they make that first long putt or throw a long bomb, I know that all I have to do to set the hook is tell them they've done a good job. If I clap and hoot too, it's all the better. Tim made a 15-foot putt on the 8th hole and followed up with a 240-foot drive on hole 9. I was hooting and hollering the whole time. I expect I'll be playing with Tim again real soon.