Friday, March 18, 2011

Introducing Divided Under God

Please join me in welcoming one of the newest members of the Atheist Blogroll, Divided Under God.

In early January 2011, I was inspired by a conversation I had with someone on a Facebook page and decided to start this site.  The conversation began when an acquaintance posted something about the Pledge of Allegiance, and her view that it should be recited in schools with the words 'under God' included.  Being a secular humanist, with strong feelings about the separation of church and state, I decided to reply.  After my reply, another person got involved and moved the conversation toward another topic that is near and dear to me: evolution.  She claimed that evolution is not real, and that everything was 'created'.  Well, I didn't get too much into that rebuttal, since I realized now that I was dealing with someone either grossly misinformed, or just drowning in her own lunacy.

But it made me think.  If she feels this way so strongly, there must be a reason, and I want to understand it.  So again, here we are.  This site was created for everyone... To share their views on current affairs, politics, the world in it's present state, and the opinions we form as a result.  This is a place where we can learn from each other, about each other, and along side each other.

I don't claim to be an expert in anything, just a fairly intelligent American who values my freedom and wants to exercise it.  I'm open to your ideas and expect you to be open to mine.  This is not a place to bash each other, spout hate speech, or present closed-minded views.  This is a space for all of us to ask questions, comment on our lives, and most of all, become better people in the process.

Feel free to send thoughtful topics or questions to: dividedUG@gmail.com and I'll publish your ideas for discussion.

Also, follow me on Twitter at @DividedUnderGod.

Are you interested in becoming a member? Visit the Atheist Blogroll resource blog for more information.

Technorati Tags: Atheism,The Atheist Blogroll