Thursday, February 04, 2010

Cherie Booth’s religious bias

Tony Blair’s wife, Cherie Booth, did something I consider wrong. Acting as a judge, she spared a Muslim man who had committed a violent offense from serving jail time. Her reason; the man was religious and therefore understood the difference between right and wrong.

Ms Booth told Miah that violence had to be taken seriously, but said she would suspend his prison sentence because he was a religious person and had not been in trouble before.

She added: "You are a religious man and you know this is not acceptable behaviour."

The man had punched another man while in line at a bank, breaking his jaw. As an atheist, If I had done this, would I be serving time in jail? I have no record. I clearly understand the difference between right and wrong. Yet I am not religious, this means in her eyes I am evil because she clearly connects religion with behavior. Her judgment is unfair.

The National Secular Society has complained.

Technorati Tags: ,,