Thursday, July 23, 2009

In my face every day

Always a cross

I recently had a conversation with a polytheist regarding the display of religious icons in his office. He said they helped ground him in his faith. I’m not really sure what that means. I just know that every time I visit his office, I get to see a statue of his god. The icons are there for me too.

I counted how many religious symbols I spotted today. So far my count is at 144. Most were encountered while driving to and from work. Of course, I saw the obligatory cross above a heaving cleavage a few times today too. Most recently at dinner, where I am lucky I did not get slapped by my wife. No honey, I was just looking at her crucifix, I swear.

On the road the relentless assault is subtle and pervasive.  Religious symbols can be as simple as the outline of a cross like in my photo above. Or it can be a church steeple, billboard, or bumper sticker. My point is, these displays are everywhere. They are a constant reminder that the balance of power rests in the hands of the faithful and they have a message for us. How do you deal with that?

Technorati Tags: ,