Monday, May 25, 2009

Review: Terminator Salvation

I am a die hard science fiction fan. I prefer books, but I love movies too. I’ve been a fan of the Terminator franchise since the original hit the theaters back in 1984. It has stood the test of time. I still enjoy watching it. There is something about the pace and storyline that hooks you and does not let go. I won’t go into my problems with the emo version of John Connor in the Sarah Connor Chronicles. 'I’m glad to see the show go. It was hard to watch emo boy go through his adolescent paces without wincing. The Terminator movies on the other hand, they always keep me coming back.

I saw Terminator Salvation on Saturday with my family. The movie was exciting and filled with breathtaking special effects and non-stop action. This is good because the movie lacked a few other things, like a cohesive plot and believable supporting actors . When I complained to my son that the John Connor (Christian Bale) character was weak and underdeveloped, he pushed back that the movie was all about the new prototype terminator named Marcus (Sam Worthington). Apparently my son made an emotional connection with Marcus. I must of missed it.

The real measure of a movie is our conversation after we walk out of the theater. My wife and I both commented on Blair Williams (Moon Bloodgood) perfectly white teeth. We were confused about how one gets caps when robots rule the planet. And then there was the scene where Conner trips a mobile terminator unit… don’t ask, it was totally unbelievable.  I had trouble with Conner’s memory. Did he forget his youthful interaction with the Schwarzenegger version of terminator? The lack of consistency bothered me. One last point, if judgment day was a nuclear event, where is the radiation sickness?

Don’t get me wrong. I liked the movie. I’ll buy it when it comes out of DVD. I’m sure I’ll watch it several times. It’s good enough to keep my attention and worth the 10 bucks to see it in the theater. Just don’t go expecting to see a Star Trek level movie.

Technorati tags: , ,