Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Blogroll Update: Choosing Atheism

A new wordpress blog has joined the Atheist Blogroll. An intro to Choosing Atheism is provided below:

I'm Marymc and have just hatched a brand new atheist blog.

"Having been raised as a devout Catholic in Ireland, I have recently realized that I no longer have any need for the God hypothesis.

Here I describe how I came to choose atheism."

Though it would be more accurate to say that I am describing how I choose to identify as atheist.

I've written about my path from devout Catholic to atheist, and will probably whitter on about that some more. I've also written about my decision to eschew religion in raising my children and will probably share my thoughts on home-education (which I do) and whatever else takes my fancy.

This is the kind of thing I write;
"My children were all baptized, and started their lives going to church each week. My eldest was about 5 when we stopped this habit, though she has been with me a few times since then. We have all been present at a few religious ceremonies linked to family occasions as well. My husband and I have decided that we can live very well without any church or religion, and that our children do not need it.

None of our children have made their first communion or been to confession. We thought for a long time about whether or not we should have a tentative link to religion, letting the children go through with these ceremonies just to be part of a community or to follow family traditions. But to do that, I'd have to bring them to religious instruction at the church for a series of one hour lessons. And I knew, there was no way I was going to have some priest fill their heads with nonsense. These sacraments are not just about a nice day out, they are about propagating the faith, sucking the children in to the 'fold'.

Not my children."

Choosing Atheism was kind enough to post the entire blogroll when he joined. Please stop by and welcome her to the team.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the mention, and for running the blogroll. It's brought me lots of lovely visitors!

Just as an aside, I'm a she!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed stopping by. Welcome aboard Mary.